I was hired as New England Conservatory's (NEC) Founder and Director of the Entrepreneurial Musicianship (EM) Department in the fall of 2009. The first of its kind worldwide, EM has advanced conversations about and training in arts entrepreneurship worldwide. EM provides diverse pathways to entrepreneurship learning and practice--from micro-grants to coursework and creative performance projects. Within the first four years of the program, EM reached 75% of NEC's student body and individual advising appointments increased 425%. The full trajectory of this initiative's growth is articulated in the EM yearly reports, found here.
While it took years to recognize it, my passion for "behind the scenes" work first emerged in middle school, when I happily took the role as my town's community band librarian (and flutist!). My experience in Eastman's Arts Leadership Program (ALP) opened my eyes to the many divides that exist in the performing arts world, specifically between administrators, musicians, donors, trustees and the local communities they serve. Both in Atlanta and at NEC, I have tried to shift the narrative and provide my colleagues and students with new tools for collaboration, leadership, strategic planning and innovation.
Below is a sample of arts entrepreneurship consulting and speaking engagements. If you're interested in learning more, please feel free to send me an email through my contact page. I'd welcome the opportunity to help contribute to your arts entrepreneurship initiative!
Consulting Work and Residencies:
- Bucknell University
- Florida State University
- Roosevelt University
- Texas Music Festival
- University of Texas at Tyler
Presentations and Speaking Engagements:
- University of Texas at Tyler (2017)
- University of South Carolina's 21st Century Music School Design (2016)
- Arizona State University's PAVE Symposium (2015)
- College Music Society (2014, 2015)
- Society of Arts Entrepreneurship Educators (2014)
- Deshpande Symposium (2014)
- Massachusetts Music Educators Association (2012)
- Opera America (2011)
- United States Association for Small Business and Entrepreneurs (2011)
- National Association of Schools of Music (2010)
- Massachusetts Cultural Council (2010)